Good morning to our SCcyber family,
I pray that this announcement finds you all healthy, happy, and coping well with our current reality.
Our SCcyber administration and teachers met yesterday to determine how to best support our students to meet their academic requirements and goals during the current state of increased restrictions due to COVID in Alberta. Most students will be able to continue their lessons and assignments as usual from home or in some cases a learning centre, but changes may need to be made for how certain students will access and complete exams. Keep in mind that as of today, these increased restrictions are expected to last only a matter of weeks. This is an evolving situation, and we may make changes, if necessary, at a later date.
The following procedures will be in place for the duration of the current restrictions and school facility closures:
- Students who still have access to their regular mentor or exam proctor will continue as usual.
- Students that are unable to access their mentor or proctor because their
school is shut down or they are not able to meet in a home due to the
gathering restrictions, will contact their teacher for assessment options.
- All SCcyber mentors will still be available via email and phone, even if they are not able to meet with their students in school at this time. While regular schools are moving to online learning until Jan. 11/21, THEY ARE NOT CLOSED. To our knowledge, all of our adult learning sites remain open, either fully, or with students able to come to the centre on an appointment basis. Please contact your mentor if you need support of any kind, if you need to come to the site for a test, or to use a computer or scanner, etc.
- The assessment options mentioned above may include an alternate assessment such as an open book exam, or an exam that is virtually proctored by the teacher or mentor via Zoom. These options will be at the discretion of the teacher, with the unique situation of each individual in mind.
- Students may also opt to write their class exams once they are allowed to attend their learning site or school, or meet with
their proctor in person if/when gathering restrictions are lifted. Please make sure if choosing this option, that you aren't allowing work to pile up. You should be moving through all of your regular lessons at the suggested pace on the calendar, and only saving exams to do later.
- The student will be responsible to communicate with their mentor and teacher if they need to use the alternate arrangements we are offering.
- Grade 12 students should note that Alberta Education has made diploma exams optional for the rest of the school year, through August 2021. Students that want to write the diploma exam even though it is optional need to contact their mentor and myself so we can make sure the registration is done at a convenient location for the student. Students that do not write the diploma exam will be awarded their school-based mark as a final mark by Alberta Education.
If you have any questions, please don't hesitate to email myself, your mentor, or your class teacher.
Don't forget to get outside to enjoy the beauty of creation. It's good for the soul!